- Associate Editor, J. Engineering Mechanics (American Society of Civil Engineers)
- Academic Editor, PLoS ONE
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Nanomechanics and Micromechanics
- Executive Editor, International Journal of Applied Mechanics
- Editorial Board, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials
- Editor, Acta Mechanica Sinica
- Associate Editor, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience
Materials science and mechanics of natural and biological protein materials (materiomics), how protein materials define our body and how they fail catastrophically (fracture, deformation, disease), large-scale atomistic modeling, protein based materials and biopolymers, interaction of chemistry and mechanics, bridging chemical scales to continuum theories of materials, modeling of bio-nano-materials phenomena, multiple-scale simulation, development and use of multi-scale simulation tools.