15 Vassar Street
Cambridge, MA, 02139
Office Telephone: 617.258.6482
Lab Telephone: 617.258.6588
Assistant: Lumidi Campbell / firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Website: http://desmarais-lab.mit.edu
- BA, Integrative Biology, UC Berkeley, 2000
- PhD, Biology, Duke University, 2008
The primary focus of research in the Des Marais Lab is to understand the mechanisms of plant-environment interaction. We use tools from molecular, quantitative, and population genetics to identify the physiological basis of plant response to environmental cues, and ask how these mechanisms constrain or facilitate plant breeding and evolutionary change.
Awards and Honors
- Walter Fitch Prize, Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution
- Des Marais, D. L., J. R. Lasky, R. Guerrero, and S. V. Scarpino. 2017. Topological features of a gene co-expression network predicts patterns of natural diversity in environmental response. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 284: 20170914.
- Des Marais, D. L., J. R. Lasky, P. E. Verslues, T. Z. Chang and T. E. Juenger. 2017. Interactive effects of water limitation and elevated temperature on the physiology, development, and fitness of diverse accessions of Brachypodium distachyon. New Phytologist 214: 132-144.
- Campitelli, B. E., D. L. Des Marais, and T. E. Juenger. 2016. Ecological interactions and the fitness effects of water-use efficiency: Competition and drought alter the impact of natural MPK12 alleles in Arabidopsis. Ecology Letters 19: 424-434.
- Des Marais, D. L., L. C. Auchincloss, E. Sukamtoh, J. K. McKay, T. Logan, J. H. Richards, and T. E. Juenger. 2014. Variation in MPK12 affects water use efficiency in Arabidopsis and reveals a pleiotropic link between guard cell size and ABA response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 111: 2836-2841.
- Des Marais, D. L., K. Hernandez and T. E. Juenger. 2013. Genotype-by-environment interaction and plasticity: exploring genomic responses of plants to the abiotic environment. Annual Reviews in Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 44: 5-29.
- Des Marais, D. L., J. K. McKay, J. H. Richards, S. Sen, T. Wayne and T. E. Juenger. 2012. Physiological genomics of response to soil drying in diverse Arabidopsis accessions. The Plant Cell 24: 893-914.
- Des Marais, D. L. and M. D. Rausher. 2008. Escape from adaptive conflict permits substrate specialization in a biosynthetic enzyme. Nature 454: 762-765.