University of California Berkeley, 406 Wurster Hall, CA 94720-1820
Assistant: Roberta Pizzinato / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bachelor in Physics, Universidad Simon Bolivar, 1999
- Magister Sc. in Physics, Central University of Venezuela, 2001
- Ph.D. in Physics (Dr. rer. nat), Stuttgart Univarsität, 2006
Professor Gonzalez works in the area of urban computing, with a focus on the intersections of people with the built environment and their social networks. Her team designs urban mobility solutions and to enable the sustainable development of smart cities. Prof. González has introduced new tools into transportation research and is a leader in the emergent field of urban computing.
- To introduce the undergraduate population of Civil and Environmental Engineering to the field of network science and data analytics.
- To teach methods that extract useful information from digital traces of human activity. Numerical methods to cluster the structure inherent in daily activities within a population and to devise data driven models of for developing City Science.
- 1.204 Computer Modeling: Human Mobility and Networks
- 1.041 Transportation Systms Modeling
- 1.00 Intro Comp & Engr Prob Solving
Awards and Honors
- Gilbert Winslow Career Development Professorship Award. January 2012
- Best Paper Award in the ACM SIGKDD International Workshop on Urban
- Computing, KDD’12, Beijing (w. Students). August 2012
- Best Paper Award in the ACM SIGKDD International Workshop on UrbanComputing, KDD’13, Chicago. (w. Students) August 2013
- NEC and Buchbaum Fellowships MIT Research Support Committee (April, 2010)
- DAAD Fellowship for PhD Studies (2002-2006)
, KDD ’17 Proceedings of the 23rd ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data MiningPages 1357-1366
- “Understanding congested travel in urban areas” (Serdar Colak, Antonio Lima), Nature Comms, Vol 2, 10793, 2016. (in press) (2016)
- “Understanding individual routing behavior”, (Antonio Lima, Rade Stanojevic, Dina Papagiannaki, Pablo Rodriguez and Marta C. Gonzalez, J. Roy. Soc. Interface Vol. 13 20160021, DOI: 10.1098/rsif.2016.0021
- “Data-driven modeling solar powered urban mocgogrids” (Arda Halu, Antonio Scala, Marta C. Gonzalez), Science Adv. Vol 2(1), e1500700 (2016)
- “The path most travelled: travel demand estimation using big data ressources” (Jameson L. Tool, Serdar Colak, Bradley Sturt, Lauren Alexandre, Alexandre Evsukoff and Marta C. Gonzalez), Transportation Research C: Emerging Technologies, Volume 58, Part B, September 2015, Pages 162–177, (2015)
- “Coupled Mobility of Social Ties” , J. R. Soc. Interface, . (2015)
- “Limits of Predictability in Commuting Flows in the Absence of Data for Calibration” (Yingxiang Yang, Carlos Herrera, Nathan Eagle and Marta C. González), Scientific Reports, 4 : 5662 doi:10.1038/srep05662 (2014)
- “A Review of Urban Computing for Mobile Phone Traces: Current Methods, Challenges and Opportunities“, S. Jiang, Y. Yang, G. Fiore, J. Ferreira Jr., E. Frazzoli, M.C. González, Proceedings of the ACM SIGKDD International Workshop on Urban Computing, (2013). (“BEST PAPER AWARD”)
- “The Potential of Low-Frequency AVL Data for the Monitoring and Control of Bus Performance“, Y. Yang, D. Gerstle, P. Widhalm, D. Bauer, M.C. González, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Volume 2351, pp. 54-64, Transit 2013, Vol. 2 (2013)
- “Unraveling Daily Human Mobility Motifs“, C.M. Schneider, V. Belik, T. Couronné, Z. Smoreda, M.C. González, Journal of The Royal Society Interface, volume 10, (2013).
- “Understanding Road Usage Patterns in Urban Areas“, P. Wang, T. Hunter, A. Bayen, K. Schechtner, M.C. González, Scientific Reports, volume 2, (2012).
- “Clustering daily patterns of human activities in the city“, S. Jiang, J. Ferreira Jr, M.C. González, Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, volume 25, 478-510, (2012).
- “Modeling the adoption of innovations in the presence of geographic and media influences“, J. Toole, M. Cha, M.C. González, PLoS ONE, volume 7, (2012).
- “A universal model for mobility and migration patterns“, F. Simini, M.C. González, Maritan A., A.-L. Barabási), Nature, volume 484, (2012)
- “Understanding the spreading patterns of mobile phones viruses,” P. Wang, M.C. González, C.A. Hidalgo and A.-L.Barabási. Science, 324, 1071-1076 (2009).
- “Understanding individual human mobility patterns,” M.C. González, C.A. Hidalgo and A.-L. Barabási. Nature 453, 479-482 (2008).
- “Community structure and ethnic preferences in school friendship networks“, M.C. González, H.J. Herrmann, J. Kertész, and T. Vicsek.Physica A 379, 307-316 (2007).
- “System of mobile agents to model social networks,” M.C. González, P.G. Lind and H.J. Herrmann. Physical Review Letters 96, 088702 (2006).