Skip to navigationSkip to contentSkip to footer


All students admitted to the SM/PhD track receive Research Assistantships (RA) or Fellowships, depending on availability of such funds. This funding includes paid tuition and health insurance, and a monthly stipend. All students pursuing a Ph.D. in CEE must have secured funding.

In the Master of Science in Transportation program almost all students are awarded funding as described above. A small group of students typically enroll without financial support and are responsible for paying tuition and cost-of-living expenses.

The Master of Engineering Program is mostly self-funded. Most admitted students are responsible for paying tuition and cost-of-living expenses. There are a small number of merit-based scholarships that cover a portion of tuition and include a small stipend.

Current MIT undergraduates combining an accelerated Bachelor’s / Master’s degree should be aware that the change in registration status, from undergraduate to graduate student, will change their eligibility for financial aid. Undergraduate financial aid is not transferable to a graduate degree program. Further, the Institute requires for the Master’s degree that a student be in residence as a full-time graduate student for a minimum of one academic term (not the summer session).

Because undergraduate financial aid is not transferable, a source of graduate funding will be needed for this term to cover graduate tuition, fees, health insurance and a living stipend. Information on loan options and other funding resources may viewed at the bottom of the page.

Research Assistantship

For more information about the definition of a Research Assistantship and the responsibilities of this role, please visit the Office of the Dean for Graduate Education.

SM, MST and PhD Fellowships

Financial awards for students in the SM and doctoral programs sometimes include fellowships funded through the department, the Institute or an outside organization. These are not intended as primary or long-term sources of funding and are usually awarded for a single year or one semester as an acknowledgement of academic excellence or specialized research interest. After the fellowship award period, RA funding will become the primary source of funding.

Outside Funding Sources

We encourage all applicants to apply for funding offered by the National Science Foundation, the National Defense Fund, NASA and other government agencies that have traditionally supported CEE students. Please also see the list of external fellowships administered by the Office for the Dean of Graduate Education. 

The nonprofit organization Environmental Engineers for the Future (E2F) offers a few fellowships for master’s level students in environmental engineering. International MEng. students often find funding through the Fulbright Foundation and national scholarships from their home country.

Other Education Loan Sources

All admitted MEng students are eligible at any time to apply for loans and nondepartmental funds. Some restrictions may apply to international students. MIT’s Student Financial Services (SFS) administers both need-based and non-need-based loans. Please note that planning ahead is essential. Please begin the process early.

Students interested in applying for funding should follow up directly with Student Financial Services. They are located in 11-120, and can be emailed Additional information can be found in the links below:

Contact Information
Graduate Financial Aid Information