77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA, 02139
Research Website: https://aeroastro.mit.edu/amedeo-odoni
• S.B., EECS, MIT, 1965
• S.M., EECS, MIT, 1967
• Ph.D., Operations Research, MIT, 1969
Specializes in Operations Research with research interests in applied probability theory, stochastic processes and decision-making under uncertainty. His principal application domains are airport planning and operations, air traffic management, urban service systems, and urban transportation.
- Currently co-teaches the course Airport Systems Planning and Design with Prof. R. de Neufville. Has also been responsible (teaching or co-teaching) for courses on Transportation Systems Analysis, Urban Operations Research, Logistical and Transportation Planning Methods, Air Traffic Control, and Risk-Benefit Analysis.
Awards and Honors
- Member, U.S. National Academy of Engineering (NAE), “for contributions and global leadership in air traffic control and airport systems”
- Fellow, Inst. for Operations Research and Management Science (INFORMS) 
- Robert F. Herman Lifetime Achievement Award in Transportation Science, INFORMS 
- Robert Horonjeff Award, “for contributions to Air Transport Engineering”, ASCE 
- Wilson Chair Professor, MIT 
- Honorary Dean, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics 
- Honorary Ph.D., Athens University of Economics and Business 
- S. Federal Aviation Administration, National Award for Excellence in Aviation Education 
- Capers and Marion McDonald Award for Excellence in Mentoring and Advising, MIT School of Engineering 
- Maseeh Excellence-in-Teaching Award, MIT Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering 
- Best Published Paper (2014-2016) Award, Transportation and Logistics Section of INFORMS (with A. Jacquillat) 
- Best Published Paper (2011-2013) Award, Transportation and Logistics Section of INFORMS (with D. Bertsimas and G. Lulli) 
- Martin Kunz Lecturer, European Aviation Conference 
- MIT Graduate Student Council Award for Excellence in Teaching [1985, 1996]
- Member, National Council for Research and Technology of Greece [2011-2014]
- Honorary Member of AGIFORS (one of four inaugural Honorary Members) 
- Fulbright Scholar 
Professor Odoni is the author, co-author and/or co-editor of 12 books, including three internationally used textbooks, and more than 100 professional publications. Some selected more recent publications:
1. Belobaba, P., A. Odoni and C. Barnhart (eds.), The Global Airline Industry, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, London, 2015. [Fully updated from 1st Edition (2009).]
2. de Neufville, R. and A. Odoni, Airport Systems: Planning, Design and Management, 2nd Edition, McGraw-Hill Educational, New York, 2013. [Revised from 1st Edition (2003).]
3. Larson, R. C. and A. Odoni, Urban Operations Research, Dynamic Ideas, Belmont, MA, 2007. [Original edition by Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey (1981).]
4. Ribeiro, N., A. Jacquillat, A. Antunes and A. Odoni, “Improving Slot Allocation at Level 3 Airports”, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 127, pp. 32-54, 2019.
5. Ribeiro, N., A. Antunes, A. Jacquillat, A. Odoni and J. Pita, “An Optimization Approach for Airport Slot Allocation under IATA Guidelines”, Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 118, pp. 132-156, 2018.
6. Gillen, D., A. Jacquillat and A. Odoni, “Airport Demand Management: The Operations Research and Economics Perspectives and Potential Synergies”, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 94, 495-513, 2016.
7. Jin, Jian Gang, K. M. Teo and A. R. Odoni, “Optimizing Bus Bridging Services in Response to Disruptions of Urban Transit Rail Networks”, Transportation Science, 50 (3), 790-804, 2016.
8. Wang, H. and A. Odoni, “Approximating the Performance of a “Last Mile” Transportation System”, Transportation Science, 50 (2), 659-675, 2016.
9. Pyrgiotis, N. and A. Odoni, “On the Impact of Scheduling Limits: A Case Study at Newark International Airport”, Transportation Science, 50 (1), 150-165, 2016.
10. Jacquillat, A. and A. Odoni, “An Integrated Scheduling and Operations Approach
to Airport Congestion Mitigation”, Operations Research, 63(6), 1390-1410, 2015. [Selected as Best Published Paper on a Transportation Topic (2014-2016) by the Transportation and Logistics Section of INFORMS.]
11. Barnett, A., M. Ball, G. Donohue, M. Hansen, A. Odoni and A. Trani, “Collision Course? The North Airfield Safety Study at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)”, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 77, 14–34, 2015.
12. Pyrgiotis, N., A. Odoni and K. Malone, “Modeling Delay Propagation within an Airport Network”, Transportation Research C: Emerging Technologies, 27, 60-75, 2013.
13. Barnhart, C., D. Fearing, A. Odoni, and V. Vaze, “Demand and Capacity Management in Air Transportation”, EURO Journal on Transportation and Logistics, 1 (1-2), 135-155, 2012.
14. Bertsimas, D., G. Lulli, and A. Odoni, “An Integer Optimization Approach to Large-Scale Air Traffic Flow Management”, Operations Research, 59 (1), 211-227, 2011. [Selected as Best Published Paper on a Transportation Topic (2011-2013) by the Transportation and Logistics Section of INFORMS.]