- B.Sc. 1981, Imperial College of Science and Technology
- Sc.D. 1987, MIT
- Geotechnical engineering
- Constitutive models for geomaterials
- Analysis methods for foundations
- Excavations and tunnels
- In situ test methods and ground improvement
- Field monitoring and sensor networks
- 1.031 Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering
- 1.364 Advanced Geotechnical Engineering
- 1.351 Theoretical Soil Mechanics
- 1.322 Soil Behavior
Awards and Honors
- National Academy of Engineering (2010)
- ASCE Thomas A. Middlebrooks Award (1997, 2002, 2005)
- ASCE Walter L. Huber Research Prize (1998)
- ASCE James R. Croes Medal (1994)
- ASCE Arthur Casagrande Professional Development Award (1994)
- John F. Kennedy Memorial Scholarship, U.K. (1982-1984)
- A.W.Skempton Prize for Soil Mechanics, Imperial College (1981)
- Yuan, Y.X., & Whittle, A.J. (2018) “A novel elasto-viscoplastic formulation for compression behavior of clays,” Géotechnique, 68(12), 1044-1055 https://doi.org/10.1680/jgeot.16.P.276.
- Zymnis, D., Whittle, A.J., & Germaine, J.T. (2018) “Measurement of temperature-dependent bound water in clays,” ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal, DOI:10.1520/GTJ20170012.
- Pei, J., Einstein, H.H. & Whittle, A.J. (2018) “The normal stress space and its application to constructing a new anisotropic failure criterion for geomaterials,” International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 106, 364-373.
- Zymnis, D., Cheng, X. & Whittle, A.J. (2018) “Investigation of Long-Term Thermo-Mechanical Response of Clay using the TTS Model,” Acta Geotechnica, 14 (2), 295-311, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11440-018-0726-6
- Sufian, A., Russell, A.R. & Whittle, A.J. (2019) “Evolving pore orientation , shape and size in sheared granular assemblies,” Granular Matter, 21(4), https://doi.org/10.1007/s10035-018-0856-4
- Vytiniotis, A., Panagiotidou, A.I. & Whittle, A.J. (2019) “Analysis of seismic response and damage for a pile supported wharf structure,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 119, 4, 21-35.
- Zhu, H., Whittle, A.J., Pellenq, R.J.M., & Ioannidou, K., (2019) “Mesoscale simulation of aggregation of imogolite nanotubes form potential of mean force interactions,” Molecular Physics, 117(22), 3445-3455.
- Kasama, K., Whittle A.J., & Kitazume, M. (2019) “Effect of spatial variability on the bearing capacity under inclined load of block-type cement-treated ground,” Soils and Foundations, 59, 2125-2143, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sandf.2019.11.007.
- Gorini, D.N., Whittle, A.J. & Callisto, L. (2020) “Ultimate limit states of bridge abutments,” ASCE Journal of Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Engineering, 146(7), DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0002283.
- Chen, J., Dong, Y. & Whittle, A.J. (2020) “Prediction and evaluation of size effects for surface footings on sand,” ASCE Journal of Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Engineering, 146(5), 0402022, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0002237.
- Whittle, A.J. (2020) “Reflections on the importance of small strain non-linearity in soils,” Geotechnical Engineering Journal of the SEAGS &AGGSEA, 51(3), 12p. (invited paper for Burland Special Issue). ISSN 0046-5828
- Gorini, D.N., Callisto, L. & Whittle A.J. (2020) “An inertial macro-element for bridge abutments,” Géotechnique, http://doi.org/10.1680/jgeot.19.P.397.
- Du, J., Whittle, A.J., Hu, L., Divoux, T., Meegoda, J.N. (2021) “Characterization of meso-scale mechanical properties of Longmaxi shale using grid-microindentation experiments,” Journal of Rock Mechanics & Geotechnical Engineering, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrmge.2020.09.009
- Zymnis, D. & Whittle, A.J. (2020) “Geotechnical considerations in the design of borehole heat exchangers in clay,” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2020-0118 .
- Yuan, Y.X. & Whittle, A.J. (2021a) “Formulation of a new elastoviscoplastic model for time-dependent behavior of clay,” International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 45(6), 843-864 http://doi.org/10.1002/nag.3174
- Yuan, Y.X. & Whittle, A.J. (2021b) “Calibration and validation of a new elastoviscoplastic soil model,” International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 45(5), 700-716. http://doi.org/10.1002/nag.3173
- Gorini, D.N., Callisto, L., & Whittle, A.J. (2021) “Dominant responses of bridge abutments,” Soil Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering, 148, 106723, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2021.106723
- Martello, M.V., Whittle, A.J. & Keenan, J.M. (2021) “Evaluation of engineering resilience for rail rapid transit network in Boston,” Transportation Research: Part D, 97, 10298.
- Nikolinakou, M.A., Whittle, A.J., Germaine, J.T. & Zhang, G. (2021) “Consolidation properties and structural alteration of Old Alluvium,” Acta Geotechnica, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11440-021-01330-6
- Nikolinakou, M.A., & Whittle, A.J. (2021) “Constitutive model of structural alteration and swelling behavior for Old Alluvium,” Engineering Geology, 10637.
Environmental Sensing and Water Distribution
- Taylor, D.D.J., Whittle, A.J. & Slocum A.H. (2018) “Analytic scaling relations to evaluate leakage and intrusion in intermittent water supply systems,” PLOS ONE, 13(5): e0196887, 22p, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0196887.
- Taylor D.D.J., Slocum, A.H. & Whittle, A.J. (2019) “Demand satisfaction as a framework for understanding intermittent water supply systems,” Water Resources Research, 10.1029/2018WR024124, 21p.
- Wei, S., Yin T., Dissegna, M.A., Whittle, A.J., Ow G.L.F, Mohd, M.L., Lauret, N., Gastellu-Etchegorry, J.P. (2020) “An assessment study of three indirect methods for estimating leaf area density and leaf area index of individual trees,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 292-293, 108101. DOI: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2020.108101
- Kitajima, M., Cruz, M.C., Williams, R.B.H., Wuertz, S. & Whittle, A.J. (2020) “Microbial abundance and community composition in biofilms on in-pipe sensors in drinking water distribution systems,” Science of the Total Environment, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.142314.
- Wojnowski, W., Wei, S, Li, W., Yin, T., Li, X., Ow G.L.F., Yusoff, M.L.M., and Whittle, A.J. (2021) “Comparison of absorbed and intercepted fractions of PAR for individual trees based on RTM simulations,” Remote Sensing, 13(6), 1069.
- Meyer, D.D.J., Khari, J., Whittle, A.J., & Slocum, A.H. (2021) “Consumer pumps in intermittent water supply: the effects and feasibility of their removal,” Water Research-X, 10(12), 100107.