Skip to navigationSkip to contentSkip to footer
Charles F. Harvey
Download full CV
- B.A. 1986, Oberlin College, Mathematics
- M.S. 1992, Stanford University, Applied Earth Science
- Ph.D. 1996, Stanford University, Geological and Environmental Sciences
- Carbon Storage, hydrology, and ecology of tropical peat forests (Research site in Borneo)
- Arsenic contamination of groundwater (Research sites in Bangladesh and Vietnam)
- Coastal Groundwater waters
- Carbon Sequestration
- Terrestrial Carbon Management
- Subsurface Chemical Transport and Reaction
- Isotope Hydrology
- Water Resources Management
Awards and Honors
- American Geophysical Union (AGU), Fellow
- American Geological Society (GSA), Fellow
- Meinzer Award, Geological Society of America, for advancing the science of Hydrogeology
- Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz International Prize for Water
- M. King Hubbert Award for Hydrology
- National Science Foundation (NSF), Young Investigator Award
- Carbon storage capacity of tropical peatlands in natural and artificial drainage networks, 2020, Environmental Research Letters, (Cobb, Alexander R., Rene Dommain, Fangyi Tan, Hwee En Heng, C.F. Harvey)
- Widespread Subsidence and Carbon Emissions across Southeast Asian Peatlands, 2020, Nature Geoscience, (Alison Hoyt, E. Chaussard, and Charles F Harvey)
- Geochemical transformations beneath man-made ponds: Implications for arsenic mobilization in South Asian aquifers. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, (M. Stahl and C.F. Harvey)
- CO2 Emissions from an Undrained Tropical Peatland: Interacting Influences of Temperature, Shading and Water Table Depth, 2019, Climate Change Biology, (Alison M. Hoyt, Laure Gandois, Jangarun Eri, Fuu Ming Kai, Charles F. Harvey, Alexander R. Cobb)
- How Temporal Patterns in Rainfall Determine the Geomorphology and Carbon Fluxes of Tropical Peatlands,Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 2017, (Cobb, A. R., A. Hoyt, L. Gandois , J. Eri , R. Dommain , K. A. Salim , Fuu Ming Kai , Nur Haji Su’ut , C. F. Harvey).
- Rice Field Geochemistry and Hydrology: An Explanation for Why Groundwater Irrigated Fields in Bangladesh are Net Sinks of Arsenic from Groundwater, Environmental Science and Technology, 2011, (Neumann, R.B., A.P. St. Vincent, L. C. Roberts, A. B. M. Badruzzaman, A. Ali, and C. F. Harvey).
- Anthropogenic Influences on Groundwater Arsenic Concentrations in Bangladesh, Nature Geoscience, 2010, (R. B. Neumann, K. N. Ashfaque, A. B. M. Badruzzaman, M. Ashraf Ali, J. K. Shoemaker and C. F. Harvey)
- The Energy Penalty of Post-Combustion CO2 Capture & Storage and Implications for Retrofitting the Installed Base, Energy & Environmental Science, 2009, (K. House, C. F. Harvey, M. Aziz, D. Schrag).
- Seasonal Water Exchange between Aquifers and the Coastal Ocean, Nature, 436, 1145-1149, 2005, (H. Michael, A. Mulligan and C. F. Harvey).
- Arsenic Mobility and Groundwater Extraction in Bangladesh, Science, 298, p. 1602-1606, November, 2002, (Harvey, C. F., Swartz, C.H., Badruzzman, B., Keon, N.E., Yu. W., Ali, A., Jay, J., Beckie, R., Niedan, V., Brabander, D, Oates, P., Ahsfaque, K., Islam, S., Hemond, H.F., Ahmed, F.).
- Permanent Carbon Dioxide Storage in Deep-Sea Sediments, Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 2006, (K. House, D. Schrag, C. F. Harvey, K. Lackner).
- When Good Statistical Models of Aquifer Heterogeneity Go Bad: A Comparison of Flow, Dispersion and Mass Transfer in Multigaussian and Connected Conductivity Fields, Water Resources Research, 39(3), 1051, 2003, (Zinn, B., and Harvey, C. F.).
- The Global Flux of CO2 into Groundwater, Geophysical Research Letters, 28(2), 2001, (Kessler, T. and Harvey, C.F.).
- Rate-limited Mass Transfer or Macrodispersion: Which Dominates Plume Evolution at the MAcroDispersion Experiment (MADE) Site? Water Resources Research, 36(3), 637, March 2000, (Harvey, C.F. and Gorelick, S.M.).