15 Vassar Street
Cambridge, MA, 02139
- B.S. 1959, University of Wisconsin
- M.S. 1960, University of Wisconsin
- Ph. D. 1964, University of Wisconsin
- Groundwater hydrology
- Stochastic methods
- Contaminant transport
- Hydrologic aspects of waste disposal
- Jacobs B., L. W. Gelhar, Effective properties of two-phase flow in heterogeneous aquifers, Water Resour. Res., 41, W01018, doi:10.1029/2004WR003232, 2005.
- Gelhar, Lynn W., Contaminant transport in the saturated zone at Yucca Mountain, Chapter in Uncertainty Underground: Dealing with the Nation’s High-Level Nuclear Waste, Allison Macfarlane and Rodney Ewing, editors, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2006.
- Zhou, Q., L.W. Gelhar, and B. Jacobs, Comparison of field-scale effective properties of two-phase flow in heterogeneous porous media, Proceedings of the International Groundwater Symposium on Bridging the Gap Between Measurement and Modeling In Heteroegeneous Media, Berkeley, CA, March 25-28, 2002, pp. 389-392, ed. A. N. Findikakis, International Association for Hydraulic Research, Madrid, Spain, 2002, ISBN: 90-805649-4-x
- Whipple, C.G., D.W. Berman, S.B. Clark, J.C. Fountain, L.W. Gelhar, L.C. Green, R.O. Hall, E.E. Herricks, B.D. Honeyman, S. Levy, J.K. Mitchell, L.T. Silver, L. Smith, and D.A. Stonestrom, Science and Technology for Environmental Cleanup at Hanford, National Academy Press, 2001. <https://books.nap.edu/books/0309075963/html/index.html>
- Hsieh, P.A., J.M. Bahr, T.W. Doe, A.W. Flint, G. Gee, L.W. Gelhar, D.K. Kip, M. Van Genuchten, and S.W. Wheatcraft, Conceptual Models of Flow and Transport in the Fractured Vadose Zone, National Academy Press, 2001.
- Jacobs, B., and L.W. Gelhar, Hydrologic Model Uncertainty Analysis, Phase 1: Study Approach and Methodology, report submitted to Tampa Bay Water, Clearwater, FL, January 2000.
- Miralles-Wilhelm, F., and L.W. Gelhar, Stochastic analysis of oxygen-limited biodegradation in heterogeneous aquifers with transient microbial dynamics, J. of Contaminant Hydrology, 42, 69-97, 2000.
- Freeze, R.A., L.W. Gelhar, D. Langmuir, S.P. Neuman, F.W. Schwartz, and D. Weber, External Peer Review Group Report on Frenchman Flat Data Analysis and Modeling Task, Underground Test Area Project, Report ITLV/13052-077 prepared under Contract No. DE-AC08-97NV13052, U.S. Department of Energy, September 1999.
- Gelhar, L.W., Report on the U.S. Nuclear Waste Technical Review Board Winter Meeting, 20-21 January 1998, Amargosa Valley, NV, submitted to the U.S. Nuclear Waste Technical Review Board, January 1998.
- Gelhar, L., L. Kovach, T. Martin, B. Prindle, L. Wilhite, and G. Williamson, Comments and Findings from the External Review Panel for the Hanford Low-Level Tank Waste Interim Performance Assessment, Appendix F, DOE/RL-97-69, Hanford Immobilized Low-Activity Tank Waste Performance Assessment, March 1998.
- Coppersmith, K.J., R.C. Perman, R.A. Freeze, L.W. Gelhar, D. Langmuir, S.P. Neuman, and C-F. Tsang, Saturated Zone Flow and Transport Expert Elicitation Project, Yucca Mountain, prepared under U.S. Department of Energy Contract No. DE-AC01-91RW00134, 1998 <https://domino.ymp.gov/va/support/szfteep.nsf/WebView/
- Kapoor, Vivek, Lynn W. Gelhar, and Fernando Miralles-Wilhelm, Bimolecular second-order reactions in spatially varying flows: Segregation induced scale-dependent transformation rates, Water Resources Research, 33(4), 527-536, 1997.
- Miralles-Wilhelm, F., L.W. Gelhar, and V. Kapoor, “Stochastic analysis of oxygen-limited biodegradation in three-dimensionally heterogeneous aquifers”, Water Resources Research , 33(6), 1251-1263, 1997.
- Gelhar, Lynn W., Perspectives on field scale application of stochastic subsurface hydrology, in Subsurface Flow and Transport: The Stochastic Approach, 157-176, ed. G Dagan and S. P. Neuman, Cambridge University Press/UNESCO, 1997.
- Miralles-Wilhelm, F., and L.W. Gelhar, “Stochastic analysis of transport and decay of a solute in heterogeneous aquifers”, Water Resources Research, 32(12), 3451-3459, 1996.
- Armstrong, A., D. Burden, J. Downey, L. Gelhar, G. Grisak, C. Johnson, C. Menzie, and D. Prudic, External Peer Review Report, Underground Test Area Project Phase 1: Data Analysis Task submitted to U.S. Department of Energy/Nevada, October 1996.
- Miralles-Wilhelm, F., and L.W. Gelhar, “Stochastic analysis of sorption macrokinetics in heterogeneous aquifers”, Water Resources Research, 32(6), 1541-1549, 1996.
- Rajaram, H. and L.W. Gelhar, “Plume scale dependent dispersion in aquifers with a wide range of scales of heterogeneity”, Water Resources Research, 31(10), 2469-2482, 1995.
- Gelhar, Lynn W., Stochastic Subsurface Hydrology, Prentice Hall, 390 pp., 1993