77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA, 02139
Assistant: Kathy Briana / email@example.com
Research Website: Laboratory for Infrastructure Science and Sustainability
- Ph.D. 1970, Cornell University
- M.S. 1969, Cornell University
- M.S.C.E. 1963, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey
Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
Professor Buyukozturk’s research focuses on mechanics and design of structures and innovative materials. His work includes behavior and design of concrete structures, integrity assessment of reinforced/prestressed nuclear containment systems, durability of materials, earthquake engineering, interface fracture mechanics, fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) composites in structural rehabilitation, structural health monitoring (SHM), and nondestructive testing (NDT). His recent research focus also includes multi-scale analysis of multi-layer material systems using molecular dynamics (MD).
- Mechanics and Design of Concrete Structures (1.541/1.054)
- Structural Mechanics and Design (1.036)
- Structural Mechanics in Nuclear Power Technology (1.56J)
- Colossal Failures in Engineering (21W.781/ESD.032J)
- K. Kupwade-Patil, S. Chin, M. Johnston, J. Maragh, A. Masic O. and Buyukozturk. Particle Size Effect of Volcanic Ash towards developing Engineered Portland Cements. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 2018, accepted and in press.
- R. Mohammadi Ghazi, Y. Marzouk and O. Büyüköztürk. Conditional classifiers and boosted conditional Gaussian mixture model for novelty detection. Pattern Recognition 2018, accepted and in press.
- C. Schaefer, K. Kupwade-Patil, M. Ortega, C. Soriano, O. Buyukozturk, A. White, and M. Short. Irradiated Recycled Plastic as a Concrete Additive for Improved Chemo-mechanical Properties and Lower Carbon Footprint. Waste Management 2018; 71, 426-439.
- K. Kupwade-Patil, C. De Wolf, S. Chin, J. Ochsendorf, A.E. Hajiah, A. Al-Mumin, and O. Büyüköztürk. Impact of Embodied Energy on materials/buildings with partial replacement of ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) by natural Pozzolanic Volcanic Ash. Journal of Cleaner Production 2018; 177: 547-554.
- K. Kupwade-Patil, S. Chin, J. Illavsky, R. Andrews, A.E. Bumajdad, AND O. Buyukozturk. Hydration kinetics and morphology of cement pastes with Pozzolanic Volcanic Ash studied via Synchrotron based Techniques, Journal of Material Science 2018; 53 (3), 1743-1757
- K. Kupwade-Patil, S. Palkovic, A.E. Bumajdad, C. Soriano, and O. Buyukozturk. Use of Silica Fume and Natural Volcanic Ash as a Replacement to Portland Cement: Micro and Pore structural Investigation using NMR, XRD, FTIR and X-ray Micro Tomography. Construction and Building Materials 2018; 158, 574-590
- H. Sun and O. Buyukozturk. The MIT Green Building benchmark problem for structural health monitoring of tall buildings. Structural Control and Health Monitoring 2018, 25(3): e2115
- S. D. Palkovic, S. Yip, O. Buyukozturk. A cohesive-frictional force field (CFFF) for colloidal calcium-silicate-hydrates. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 2017; 109: 160-177.
- R. Masmoudi, K. Kupwade-Patil, A. Bumajdad, O. Buyukozturk. In situ Raman Studies on Cement Paste prepared with Natural Pozzolanic Volcanic Ash and Ordinary Portland Cement. Construction and Building Materials 2017; 148: 444-454.
- S. D. Palkovic, S. Yip, O. Buyukozturk. Constitutive response of calcium-silicate-hydrate layers under combined loading. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 2017; 100(2): 713-723.
- A Zhou, O Buyukozturk, D Lau. Debonding of concrete-epoxy interface under the coupled effect of moisture and sustained load. Cement and Concrete Composites 2017. 80: 287-297.
- C. Gu, F. Al-Jeri, A. Al-Enezi, O. Büyüköztürk and M.N. Toksöz. Source mechanism study of local earthquakes in Kuwait. Seismological Research Letter 2017; 88 (6), 1465-1471
- Y.-J. Cha, S. Mahmoudkhani and O. Büyüköztürk. Autonomous Structural Visual Inspection Using Region-Based Deep Learning for Detecting Multiple Damage Types. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering 2017, accepted and in press. DOI: 10.1111/mice.12334
- N. Wadhwa, J. G. Chen, J. B. Sellon, D. Wei, M. Rubinstein, R. Ghaffari, D. M. Freeman, O. Buyukozturk, P. Wang, S. Sun, S. H. Kang, K. Bertoldi, F. Durand, and W. T. Freeman. A Motion Microscope for Visualizing and Quantifying Small Motions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America – PNAS 2017, 114(44): 11639-11644
- Mordret, H. Sun, G. A. Prieto, N. Toksoz and O. Buyukozturk. Continuous monitoring of high-rise buildings using seismic interferometry. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 2017; 107 (6), 2759-2773
- J. G. Chen and O. Buyukozturk. A symmetry measure for detecting changes in mode shapes. Journal of Sound and Vibration 2017; 408: 123-137.
- Z. Dzunic, J. G. Chen, H. Mobahi, O. Buyukozturk, J. W. Fisher. A Bayesian state-space approach for damage detection and classification. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2017; 96: 239-259.
- R. Mohammadi Ghazi, J. G. Chen and O. Buyukozturk. Pairwise graphical models for structural health monitoring with dense sensor arrays. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2017; 93: 578-592.
- Y.-J. Cha, W. Choi and O. Buyukozturk. Deep learning-based crack damage detection using convolutional neural networks. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering 2017; 32(5): 361-378.
- J. Long and O. Buyukozturk. Decentralised One Class Kernel Classification Based Damage Detection and Localisation. Structural Control and Health Monitoring 2017; 24(6): e1930.
- Davis, K.L. Bouman, J.G. Chen, M. Rubinstein, O. Buyukozturk, F. Durand and W.T. Freeman. Visual Vibrometry: Estimating Material Properties from Small Motions in Video. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machines Intelligence 2017; 39(4): 732-745.
- Y.-J. Cha, J. G. Chen and O. Buyukozturk. Output-only computer vision based damage detection using phase-based optical flow and unscented Kalman filters. Engineering Structures 2017; 132, 300-313.
- H. Sun, A. Mordret, G. A. Prieto, N. Toksoz and O. Buyukozturk. Bayesian characterization of buildings using seismic interferometry on ambient vibrations. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2017; 85: 468-486.
- G. Yan, H. Sun and O. Buyukozturk. Impact load identification for composite structures using Bayesian regularization and unscented Kalman filter. Structural Control and Health Monitoring 2017; 24(5): e1910
- J. G. Chen, A. Davis, N. Wadhwa, F. Durand, W. T. Freeman and O. Buyukozturk. Video camera-based vibration measurement for civil infrastructure applications. ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems 2017; 23(3): B4016013.
- S. Palkovic, D.B. Brommer, K. Kupwade-Patil, A. Masic, M. Buehler and O. Buyukozturk. Roadmap across the mesoscale for durable and sustainable cement paste – a bioinspired approach. Construction and Building Materials 2016; 115: 13-31.
- K. Kupwade-Patil, M. Tyagi, C. Brown and O. Buyukozturk. Water dynamics in Cement Paste at Early Age prepared with Pozzolanic Volcanic Ash and Ordinary Portland Cement using Quasielastic Neutron Scattering. Cement and Concrete Research 2016; 86: 55-62.
- K. Kupwade-Patil, A. F. Al-Aibani, M. F. Abdulsalam, C. Mao, A. Bumajdad, S. D. Palkovic and O. Buyukozturk. Microstructure of cement paste with natural pozzolanic volcanic ash and Portland cement at different stages of curing. Construction and Building Materials 2016; 113: 423-441.
- Wadhwa, H.-Y. Wu, A. Davis, M. Rubinstein, E. Shih, G. J. Mysore, J. G. Chen, O. Buyukozturk, J. V. Guttag, W. T. Freeman and F. Durand. Eulerian video magnification and analysis. Communications of ACM 2016; 60(1): 87-95.
- Y.-J. Cha, P. Trocha and O. Buyukozturk. Field measurement based system identification and dynamic response prediction of a unique MIT building. Sensors 2016; 16(7): 1016.
- H. Sun and O. Buyukozturk. Probabilistic updating of building models using incomplete modal data. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2016; 75: 27-40.
- R. Mohammadi Ghazi and O. Buyukozturk. Damage detection with small data set using energy-based nonlinear features. Structural Control and Health Monitoring 2016; 23(2): 333-348.
- S. D. Palkovic, S. Moeini, S. Yip and O. Buyukozturk. Mechanical behavior of a composite interface: Calcium-silicate-hydrates. Journal of Applied Physics 2015; 118(3): 034305.
- H. Sun and O. Buyukozturk. Optimal sensor placement in structural health monitoring using discrete optimization. Smart Materials and Structures 2015; 24(12): 125034.
- H. Sun and O. Buyukozturk. Identification of traffic-induced nodal excitation of truss bridges through heterogeneous data fusion. Smart Materials and Structures 2015; 24(7): 075032.
- Y.-J. Cha and O. Buyukozturk. Structural Damage Detection Using Modal Strain Energy and Hybrid Multiobjective Optimization. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering 2015; 30(5): 347-358.
- J. G. Chen, N. Wadhwa, Y.-J. Cha, F. Durand, W. T. Freeman and O. Buyukozturk. Modal Identification of Simple Structures with High-Speed Video using Motion Magnification. Journal of Sound and Vibration 2015; 345: 58-71.
- J. G. Chen, R. W. Haupt and O. Buyukozturk. Operational and Defect Parameters Concerning the Acoustic-Laser Vibrometry Method for FRP-reinforced Concrete. NDT&E International 2015; 71: 43-53.
- Dindar, C. Yalcin, E. Yuksel, H. Ozkaynak and O. Buyukozturk. Development of Earthquake Energy Demand Spectra. Earthquake Spectra 2015; 31(3): 1667-1689.
- D. Lau, K. Broderick, M. J. Buehler and O. Buyukozturk. A robust nano-scale experimental quantification of fracture energy in a bi-layer material system. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America – PNAS 2014; 111(33): 11990-11995.