- B.A. 1969, Skidmore College
- 1970, Cornell University
- Ph.D. 1974, S.U.N.Y. Albany
- General areas
- Biological oceanography
- Microbial ecology
- Ecological Genomics
- Current interests
- Ecology, evolution, and comparative genomics of marine cyanobacteria and viruses that infect them
- The ecological and policy dimensions of large-scale ocean fertilization
- Microbial Oceanography
Awards and Honors
- 2013 Ramon Margalef Prize in Ecology, Government of Catalonia, Spain
- 2013 Resident Scholar – Bellagio Conference and Study Center, Italy
- 2013 Awarded 2011 National Medal of Science, the White House
- 2013 Elected Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2012 Elected Fellow, Ecological Society of America
- 2012 Ruth Patrick Award, American Society of Limnology and Oceanography
- 2011 Darbaker Prize: Botanical Society of America
- 2010 Agassiz Medal in Oceanography: National Academy of Sciences
- 2005 Huntsman Award for Excellence in Marine Science
- 2004-2012 Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation Marine Microbiology Investigator
- 2003 Member the National Academy of Sciences
- 1998 Resident Scholar, Bellagio Study Center, Lake Como, Italy
- 1997 Guggenheim Fellow
- 1996 Fellow American Geophysical Union
- 1993 Fellow American Academy of Microbiology
- 1992 Fellow American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 1991 Rosensteil Award in Ocean Sciences
- 2014: Kashtan, N. SE Roggensack, S. Rodrigue, JW Thompson, SJ Biller, A Coe, H Ding, P Marttinen, R Stocker, M. Follows, R. Stephanauskas, and SW Chisholm. Single cell genomics reveals hundreds ofcoexisting subpopulations in wild Prochlorococcus. Science Vol. 344 no. 6182 pp. 416-420.
- 2014: Biller, SJ, F Schubotz, SE Roggensack, AW Thompson, RE Summons, and SW Chisholm. Bacterial vesicles in marine ecosystems. Science Vol. 343 no. 6167 pp. 183-186.
- 2012: Chisholm, S.W. Unveiling In Microbes and Evolution: The World that Darwin Never Saw. R. Kolter and S. Malow [eds]. ASM Press.
- 2012: Malmstrom, R.S. Rodrigue, K.H. Huang, L. Kelly, S. Kern, A. Thompson, S. Roggensack, M. Henn, and S.W. Chisholm. Ecology of uncultured Prochlorococcus clades revealed through single-cell genomics and biogeographic analysis. ISME Journal 7:184-198.
- 2009: Strong, A.L., J.J. Cullen and S.W. Chisholm. Ocean fertilization: Science policy and commerce. Oceanography Magazine 22 (3):236-261.
- 2007: Coleman, M.L. and S.W. Chisholm Code and Context: Prochlorococcusas a model for cross-scale biology. Trends in Microbiology 15:398-407.
- 2006: Coleman, M.L., M.B. Sullivan, C. Steglich, E.F. DeLong and S.W. Chisholm. Genomic Islands and the ecology and evolution of Prochlorococcus. Science 311:1768-1770.
- 2006: Johnson Z, Zinser ER, Coe A, McNulty NP, Woodward EMS, Chisholm SW. Niche partitioning among Prochlorococcusecotypes along ocean-scale environmental gradients. Science 311:1737-1740.
- 2005: Lindell, D, J. D. Jaffe, Z. I. Johnson, G. M. Church, S. W. Chisholm. Photosynthesis genes in marine viruses yield proteins during host infection. Nature 438:86-89.
- 2003: Rocap G, Larimer F, Lamerdin J, Malfatti S, Chain P, Ahlgren N, Arellano A, Coleman M, Hauser L, Hess W, Johnson Z, Land M, Lindell D, Post A, Regala W, Shah M, Shaw S, Steglich C, Sullivan M, Ting C, Tolonen A, Webb E, Zinser E, Chisholm S. Genome divergence in two Prochlorococcusecotypes reflects oceanic niche differentiation. Nature 424: 1042-1047.
To view entire publications list, please visit the Chisholm Lab website.