The Masters of Science (SM) & Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
The Master of Science (SM) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) are the research focused graduate degrees in the department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE). Each SM and PhD graduate student in our department is matched with one of our top tier faculty members to work together on the research component of the graduate degree.
Connecting graduate students through research interests with faculty and offering the opportunity for advanced course work is a combination that produces highly successful graduates that emerge as leaders in their fields.
With broad areas of study, we offer students the opportunity to pursue educational goals – through research and course work that is exciting and motivating to you.
The Areas of Study Include :
- Environmental Chemistry
- Environmental Microbiology
- Environmental Fluid Mechanics
- Hydrology and Hydroclimatology
- Networks, Systems and Computation
- Materials, Structures and Geomechanics
Master of Science
The Master of Science degree is awarded to students who have satisfactorily completed a program of study of at least 66 units of graduate level subjects, approved by the department in which s/he is enrolled, and a 24 unit thesis approved by the department.
Summary of Requirements
- 66 units of graduate level subjects, of which 34 units are offered by the Department
of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- SM Thesis, equivalent to 24 units
SM Guidelines (pdf)
Doctor of Philosophy
The Doctor of Philosophy degree is awarded to students who have satisfactorily completed a doctoral program in CEE consisting of 120 units of graduate level coursework, including a 3-Subject Core and one breadth subject. The 3-Subject Core reflects core knowledge in the student’s chosen field. The remainder of the doctoral program consists of graduate subjects that complement the Core.
Summary of Requirements
- 120 units of graduate level subjects, including a three Subject Core and one breadth subject
- Successful completion of the general exam at the end of academic year 2
- Successful completion of the PhD proposal
- PhD Thesis, equivalent to 24 units
PhD Guidelines (pdf)
What do students do with their research degree?
Graduates from our SM and PhD degree tracks go on to top jobs as engineers, faculty members at top universities, engineer consultants, leaders for NGOs, and some start their own companies.
The application must be completed online. The portal to the electronic application will open on October 15, 2016. The deadline to submit applications is December 15, 2016 at 11:59 pm (EST).